Sunday, January 30, 2011

Before...and After!

The photos I promised of my house, before and after.  Just a little history on my house:  this is my great-grandmother's home built in the 50's.  There was a large two-story home here that burned to the ground and destroyed most of the contents. My great-grandmother replaced the large home with this smaller one. It started out as a three bedroom, 1 bath house, but I made a few changes to create a 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. This project would never have been possible without my parents, siblings and in-laws. Thanks to all of you so much! Also a lot of help from my dad's brothers and lots of prayers!

Understand, we took this house down to the studs and added: new sheet rock, new electrical, a heat pump for central heating/air, new plumbing, new roof, I can't even remember what else. A lot.

So here we go on the house tour!

Dining Room before and Dining Room After. In the before picture - Bye Bye wood paneling!! The gas heater in the far left and the a/c unit in the window were the only methods of heating and cooling the house.  The large archway was removed. The archway separated the living and dining room area but now it's just one open space.


The Living Room before and the Living Room after: There was a door that lead into the back of the house, but I just made it a plain opening - no door. The first before and after pics are taken from the dining room area, looking into the living area.  The other before pic is taken from the hallway/doorway area. The circle on the far wall is actually a glare from the mirror. :)























Bathroom before and Bathroom after: Before, when you took a hot bath, your head was in the toilet. This was a very little bathroom, the door opened against the wall. Now, the door opens against the shower because we moved the tub into the closet of the bedroom next door, giving LOTS of extra bathroom space. And upgraded the sink, tub, etc. :)  The picture you see is hanging where the tub was. The toilet is in the same place.




The Master Bedroom before and the Master Bedroom after: Because we were using the third smallest bedroom as a closet for the master bedroom, we removed the existing closet.  Where the potted plant is below is where the closet was before.  In the bed picture, you can barely see the doorway we added to the new closet for the master bedroom. Painted in a soft grey color, it's really pretty and restful.






The Third Bedroom before and the Master Closet after:  As you can see, we had some roof issues.  Major water issues throughout the house.  This closet you see below in the before pictures is where we put the tub. We walled in the hallway into this room to create a linen closet and added a door from the master bedroom to create a huge storage area for the house. I have two rows of storage tubs behind the door, two rows to the left of the bookcase, another row to the right of the bookcase, an entire row of closet hanging space on the right wall, a full length mirror in front of one window and the bookcase blocks the other window.



Spare Bedroom before and Spare Bedroom after:  I decided to keep a twin bed in this room, along with my computer and office set up.  This is where I am right now!  Muffin loves to lay on the bed and watch the birds outside the window.  :) 


The Kitchen before and the Kitchen after: Gosh, I don't know where to start here. We ended up moving the doorway to have space enough for upper and lower cabinets against the left wall.  The sink unit that was in here was really cool - a 50's era feel to it. But didn't match what I was going with. So we took it out. More water damage in the ceiling. Finally fit the fridge in here (before it was in the utility room). LOVE my kitchen. Granite counter tops and tile floor and back splash. LOVE IT. (Thanks Clay!)




The last room - Utility Room! This room was added on by my dad a million years ago. I can't remember a time when it wasn't there, but it's the only room in the house with 8 ft. ceilings. :)  This room did have the fridge, washer, dryer, hot water heater.  We moved the fridge back to the kitchen, the hot water heater outside and left the washer and dryer.  But we had to add the air handler in here. Regardless, I plan on moving a treadmill in here soon, so obviously, it's a sizable room. Thank heavens!


Alrighty, there is your tour of the Covington Cottage!  I can't tell you how much I love living here and how much I appreciate all the people who put blood, sweat and tears into helping me remodel and move in. It was a rough several months, but look how beautiful it is now!


1 comment:

  1. Ohh,your home is beautiful. I love everything you did.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read all comments and try to respond - by email if you aren't a "no comment" blogger! (Check your settings!) I love feedback so feel free to drop me a line anytime. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...