Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Furry Child.

Meet my furry daughter, Muffin.
In my newish job (I've been here just over a year) I train, depending on the year, 300+ folks in a year's time.  Naturally, these people are curious about me, how long I've lived in the area, married?, kids?, etc etc. And I always answer - No, not married. Nope, no kids. I have a cat, does that count?

Today, someone asked if I had children and I said no - I have a cat.  Now sometimes, they leave it at that or say something like - you probably made the right choice! Now, mind you, it's not like I made a conscious decision to not have children.  But I realize they don't know what else to say.

Today, however, the comments were more along the lines of - well, you never know, you still have time! You may have children yet! Which, I usually comment - oh, I'm getting a little old to have kids so I probably won't.  I have a furry child and that's enough.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this post, other than to say this:  You never know why someone doesn't have children. Maybe they didn't want them. Maybe they can't have children. Or like me, the opportunity to have a child hasn't really presented itself to me. And you know what, I have faith that there is a reason for God having kept me unmarried up until this point. 9 times out of 10 I'm ok with it and 1 time out of 10 it makes me sad that I'm not a mother and the life I thought I'd have didn't happen.

I'm as guilty as everyone else to say something wacky because you don't know what to say.  And truly, I don't mind the questions and comments from well-intentioned people. They are so sweet and only want to know me better. But for me, my child is a furry child, who is very ill-mannered, rude, sassy, silly and loves her mommy.  And for today, that will have to make me content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting. I read all comments and try to respond - by email if you aren't a "no comment" blogger! (Check your settings!) I love feedback so feel free to drop me a line anytime. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...