Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Purpose of Registries.

credit
Let's talk for just a minute about wedding gifts.  No, I'm not getting married, but I do want to chit chat with brides for just one minute.  (Well, actually anyone receiving a gift, please read on.)

On the radio this week, brides were calling in all ticked off because people were BUYING THEM GIFTS that weren't on their gift registry. I know, how dare they.  How dare they take their hard earned money and BUY YOU A GIFT that you didn't already pick out for yourself. *gasp* Horrific of them, I know.

SERIOUSLY?!?! You must be kidding me, right?


Holy cow, I about flipped my lid and put my car in the ditch when I heard that attitude. Whew. Ok, let's review: 
  • I work hard. 
  • I earn a limited amount of money.
  • I have bills to pay.
  • I thoughtfully review your registry and what I would like to purchase you for your wedding. 
  • I realize I either a) can't afford your registry or b) would like to buy you something else not on your registry. 
  • I spend my money on you, purchase you a gift that I found to be a thoughtful gift to celebrate your upcoming marriage.
  • I take an afternoon of my time to attend your bridal shower and share my gift with you. 
  • You open it, fake smile about it, and secretly seethe about me not going by your registry. 
  • Umm... can I just have my gift back and I'll exchange it for something I want? Thanks. 
I think we have lost something in our society these days.  Like the thoughtfulness of the gift?  I understand registries - and please don't give me the drama of how hard you worked to play with the scanny thing in the store to make your registry because seriously, I've gone on those trips more than once an it's not a hardship. But registries, in my opinion, are suggestions and not ultimatums.  

Please folks, let's remember that people are investing their dollars into gifts for you. They are thoughtfully giving up something in their budget to share joy with you. Let's keep it all in perspective and appreciate the loving thoughts that are shared through a gift of any sort.  What a blessing that someone wanted to gift you with anything! 

Ok, I'm stepping down from my soap box now and my breathing will hopefully return to normal soon. And PS - that poor couple at the top have nothing to do with this - I just found them on the web and really liked their looks. :) 


1 comment:

  1. This is one reason why I hate modern weddings and I wanted to elope. Telling people what to buy you? I'd much rather receive a gift that someone went out and looked for. Sorry for the cliche, but the thought is what counts. Even if someone got me a $1 candle, I'd like that better than a $250 cookware set that I forced them to buy.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting. I read all comments and try to respond - by email if you aren't a "no comment" blogger! (Check your settings!) I love feedback so feel free to drop me a line anytime. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...